Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Remember VT


4/16/2007

Shortly after I woke up the phone rang. I hear my friend, the one who knows me well enough to know that I don't tune in to the local news often, start saying how she's sorry to be calling so early but...

There's been a shooting at Virginia Tech. Did you know? Have you talked to him?

And, as I try to get more details from her, I learn the shooting isn't near his dorm. I don't know his classes well enough to know where he'd be at that very moment but fairly certain he would not be in an early class. He's a Senior and enjoying his last few months of college. I hurry off the phone explaining my need to check things out.

A single shooting. No need to panic. I'm sure he's ok.

I turn on the news just to make sure. In disbelief, I stand in my living room and watch as chaos unfolds on the VT campus. A nightmare of senseless shooting ensues.


I need to call my husband. And, I start trying to process. It's 3 hours earlier on the West Coast, where he's at on business.


It's so early to call and wake him up.


Oh, my gosh...


but, what if it's him.


My cell phone starts ringing. The house phone joins in the ringing. Our friends and family are trying to check in with us to see if he's ok.


And, I'm staring at horror on the tv screen trying my best to take action.


But I can't.


I can't move, think, decide, pray, act.


Finally, I grab the phone and dial my husband.


He's fully awake. Fully aware. He just got off the phone with him. He's ok.


...and it's his birthday.


We talk off and on over the next few hours as the tragedy unfolds. What do we do? Should I go get him?


But, he's choosing. He wants to stay.


We pray and grieve for the students and faculty and family members and friends who are the Hokie Nation. And, I begin to watch and listen and admire him during his last few weeks on campus.


Keenly aware that he has become a man.


Steady in choice. Ready to defend. Built to lead. Proud to serve.


I am so proud of you, Army Guy!

Happy Birthday!!


We will continue to invent the future through

our blood and tears and through all our sadness

...we will prevail...

-Nikki Giovanni, University Distinguished Professor, poet, activist

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh yes.

HB Josh.

may you make an impact, forever marked by the moment in history that brought your family together, rallying for the saftey of a multitude through one, you.