Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dog-gone Good Book

The subtitle of the book, Adventures in the New World of Prozac-Popping Puppies, Dog-Park Politics and Organic Pet Food, is what really caught my eye and I just had to read One Nation Under Dog by Michael Schaffer. It was the most statistically driven book I've read to date regarding the 4-legged friend population and the lengths that pet owners now go to so that they feel their animals are well taken care of.  I found myself laughing, and feeling a little guilty, when I found myself within the pages and things quickly came to my attention with how I care for my Miniature Schnauzers:

Yes, both of my puppies go to Doggie Daycare.

Yes, both of my puppies luxuriously lounge on the bed with me and Mr. Smart Guy.

Yes, Mr. Smart Guy is called "Daddy" and I am "Mommy" to our fur babies.

Yes, the puppies' diet is an "upscale, premium food".

Yes, the puppies get lots of toys and treats.

With that being said, I felt right at home within Shaffer's pages.  I am "normal" in the current trends of dog ownership.  The cool thing about this book though is that Schaffer takes a look at the ongoing innards of the pet industry, currently a powerhouse $41 billion dollar generating machine, and how products and services cater to the now 60% of U.S. households who own a pet.

If you're not a dog lover, this read probably won't be for you.  However, if you are like I am and love your dog(s), you'll find lots of information, humor and a reflection of your pet spending habits within the pages of the book.  

"Michael Schaffer has written a thoroughly researched, jaw-dropping, laugh-out-loud expose of our love affair with the pets in our lives.  Go find yourself in One Nation Under Dog!"
- Nick Trout, Author


2 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

I am going to Audible to see if they have it! I have to admit...I am among those pampering hoards myself!

Thanks for the heads up.

Dan

Unknown said...

And really . . . just *who* is that doggie toy for, anyway???

LOL

Great scott. Another book to add to my increasingly tall stack. And ya say this one is statistic driven, eh?

:sigh: :D