Friday, May 22, 2009

I Met So-and-So

A few years ago, I was traveling on business and I sat behind him on the plane. His accent was undeniable but I wasn't quite sure it was him....I mean...was it really HIM??!!  He had aged quite a bit and I just wasn't sure I could say with 100% confidence that it was him.  We engaged in a little small talk as we gathered our things from the overhead bin on the plane and that was it.  As I exited the plane I leaned over to the stewardess and asked politely, "Who is that?"  She smiled wide and like an informant overspilling with a juicy tidbit she replied, "Robert Plant".

Robert Plant?  You mean, the Led Zeppelin kind-of Robert Plant?

So I made my way in the small airport to the baggage claim area and there he was. As I stood next to him, I  stole the quick I-don't-want-to-be-seen-gawking kind of glimpses of him while I tried to act nonchalant.  But, inside... I was trying to build up enough courage to ask for an autograph but all of my brain cells were saturated with star-struck immobility.  The baggage rolled off of the conveyor belt, we each picked up our things and parted ways.

*sigh*

I just met Robert Plant.

I quickly called home to relay what had just happened and my elated emotions quickly began to deflate with each skeptical question that was posed to me:

Did you take a picture?  You have a camera phone, ya know!

Did you get his autograph?

So....you have no proof that you actually met and talked to Robert Plant?

I tried to explain as best I could that I got completely and utterly star-struck and that was why I had no proof.  I only had my story and my word that this is indeed truth!

Then, a few months passed and our family was at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum when Mr. Smart Guy spotted Donald Rumsfeld,  the then Secretary of Defense, who was enjoying the museum with family and friends.  Instantly, Mr. Smart Guy and our boys became stalkers trying to get the best picture possible of him.  Plans were quickly being formulated by Dan the Man and Theatre Dude to approach Mr. Rumsfeld and ask for his autograph.  But, in the end, no one had the courage to approach him nor get a photograph with him.

I quickly brought the story back full circle to my encounter with Robert Plant so that they would understand why I had no autograph or photo of him.  I guess sighting someone who is influential in our world does strange things to people, eh?

So, imagine my surprise when just yesterday, I sighted another celebrity in the airport.  My trip back West wasn't planned...it was just a spur of the moment, my-heart-emergency and I needed to be with Mr. Smart Guy!  

My itinerary was simple:

3:30am - leave the house.
5:30am - plane leaves for Philadelphia.
7:10am - plane leaves for San Francisco.

Easy enough, right?  NO! 

I made it to Philadelphia and my flight to San Francisco was cancelled due to maintenance issues.  I stood in line at the customer service counter for 2 and a half grueling hours with my co-passengers in an effort to get re-booked on other flights.  Flying is not glamorous!

Lo and behold, there were no more flights that day on that carrier and so they switched me to a different carrier.  Sadly, I had to wait 6 hours in the airport before we left and to top off the best of the day, I was making a connection in Chicago.  Did I mention that I was awake at 3am that morning?

** ugh **

I finally left Philadelphia and, without any issues, thankfully made it to Chicago.  I had a 2 hour layover and was waiting for my flight to San Francisco when I spotted him.

Still though, I wasn't quite sure it really was him. So, I took a picture just in case it was.  

And, then  .....

It was him!  It was him!

....and I jumped out of my seat and approached him ....

"I'm so sorry to bother you but I love worshipping with you and you are amazing!  ... um, can I take a quick pic of us?"

Ever gracious and truly humble, he obliged and I took our photo.  I shook his hand.  I smiled and complimented him.  And I wished him well.

My friends, I met David Crowder!  

3 comments:

20-something said...

that is so cool!!!!

Dan Felstead said...

You are one lucky dude! Led Zepplin (graduated from Purdue in '72) was my all time favorite group. My son(23 years old)loves them as well. He even has a plant by the front door of his apartment named "Robert"!....get it...Robert....Plant! I flew for years every week with my job and I know it gets really depressing at times with delays and such...but these chance meetings makes it all worthwhile!

Dan

Unknown said...

oh. my. flippin' gosh!!! and EGADS! how cool! :D