Thursday, June 11, 2009

Clah-Clunk

I put the key into the lock, took a deep breath ... and twisted it to the right.  

The clah-clunk of the releasing mechanism announced that I could enter while the smallest of squeaks emanated from the front door when I pushed it open and stepped inside the foyer.  

I was there for one fairly straightforward and simple reason; to make one last walk-through in the house to make sure we hadn't left anything behind before I signed the documents that transferred ownership to the new owners. But, instead....just as quickly as I entered the foyer, grief came tumbling all around me and memories streamed through my mind's eye and I was drenched in sobbing breaths and fast, salty tears that were a torrent down my cheeks.  

I stepped onto the carpeted stairs and moved one slow, heavy foot up the steps in front of the other until I got to our bedroom and stopped.  I stood in the center of the room, admiring the calming celery green color that Mr. Smart Guy had picked for the wall paint, and I listened. 

And ... 

I heard us talking about and praying for our boys over the years.  I heard us maturing and figuring out how to love each other better.  I heard the last conversation we had in this room finalizing the Coastal Craziness plan and how we knew it would be hard but we knew it was the right choice.  

But, as I stood there, I don't think either one of us knew the depths of difficulty and the emotional toll it would take on us.  I closed the doors quietly shut on the room and turned down the hallway.

**sigh**

I went to the laundry room, still able to smell the fresh linen scent and I watched.

I watched Army Guy, in for the weekend from Virginia Tech, grab his clothes off the clothes rack and head off to put them away.  I saw Dan the Man open the dryer in search of his then-favorite shirt at the time to see if it was clean yet so he could wear it.  I heard Theatre Dude yelling from the laundry room to see if I had washed and/or dried all of his guitar picks that might have been in his jeans pocket when I did laundry 'cause he couldn't find any of his picks.  And, I could see each of our puppies on their first day with us and how we lovingly set up their crated homes in the laundry room.  

I stepped outside of the laundry room and stood on the landing and just looked at all of the open bedroom doors and both of the stairways that went downstairs.  None of the rooms were ever just one boys room.  The rooms have always been interchangeable and have morphed into whatever our family needs were at the time.  

And, I saw them become ...

bedrooms, offices, music rooms, guest rooms, reading rooms, foster guy rooms, Katrina family rooms and ... anyone who needed a safe place to stay for the night away from the chaos of their life kinda rooms.  

And, I could feel my heart swell with love for each person that has been in our home.  I pray that their memories of staying here have made a small but lasting difference in their life.

I began to descend the steps into the living room that opened up with the kitchen.  I could already see the many ...

birthday bashes, cancer-free celebrations, chick nights at the house, Prom pictures, Superbowl parties, Smart Guy and his friends discussing their conspiracy theories, the movies we've watched, Homecoming nights, and, most importantly and most heartwarming, the conversations we've had.  The talks of politics and current events and shopping finds and new recipes and cool new bands and rock concerts and heartbreaks and conflict and careers and purity and freedom and boundaries and love and God.

Lastly, I stood in the foyer. I thought about how many times in the past years I had stood in that very spot saying hello or goodbye to people I love. And, even though I was still sobbing, a smile began to emerge on on my face.  

My family has lived a lot of life within these walls.  

I put the key into the lock, took a deep breath ... and twisted it to the left.  

The clah-clunk of the locking mechanism announced that the door was indeed locked and I was no longer permitted to enter.  

And, now it's their house.  

They don't know it but I prayed for them while I walked into each room of the house.  I asked God that he would bless their family with the fullness of love and joy that we have found while we lived here.  I asked that their pantry would always be full and they would not be hungry beyond their means.  I prayed that their children would find friends in the neighborhood and that they would love going to school and learning.  I prayed for the marriage ... that it would only get better in the years that they call this house their home.  

7 comments:

Kevin Stone said...

What a powerful story about a personal moment. Change is never easy no matter what the change is. Sometimes in life it is nessecary. If only the people buying the house knew what an important building they were buying and the hopes that the building someday becomes as important to them as well. Just think about the homes across america. Just how many of them are important homes. America considers the White House an important building. I believe that with the story you just told makes that house more important and I wonder now how many more important buildings are out there? Good luck on the new and thanks for sharing the old.

20-something said...

having a room there for just a short time, i am so incredibly thankful for the house and everything its meant to me. but more importantly, i'm thankful for you and your family. you've given me opportunity after opportunity to grow and change and become the person i am today.

so thanks for always being willing to open your home to those who need it.

it was the best hizty house it could ever be.. fo' sure!

Dan Felstead said...

Denise...
This is beautiful. I had to read it twice. From some of my descriptions of old houses on my blog...you can tell that I feel exactly the same way you do about past lives and the history left behind by folks who lived there in the past. You are so right...you are gone now but the memories will last forever and someday...the new owners will turn that key for the last time on their own lives and new owners will again begin their lives.

Dan

2 Babes in Boyland said...

OK, so when I ask "How did the finishing up go?" and you say "Fine." this is what you mean?!?!!? No fair making me cry into my coffee this morning!!

Having been friends with you through, what, 3 moves now, I can tell you, it's NOT the house, it is SO the people, and the warm, loving, acceptance and grace is what makes it a home. I love to visit your homes! and I love you!!

MinnesotaTransplant said...

I believe houses have souls (of sorts). There's a karma about a place that transfers to the people who live or play or work in that place. Hearing that you prayed for the next owners seems right and proper -- as if you are passing the good karma along. I hope they experience the blessings you asked for, and I hope your next place is blessed as well.

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

I love this post so much. I had a similar experience when we left our first home. Thank you for praying for the next family.

Unknown said...

{{tears...}}