Thursday, November 20, 2008

Can You Even This Out? (revisited)

I had pondered my hairstyle for some time and then one day decided I needed something fresh. I wanted to toss my classic shoulder-length locks for something fun and more modern.  A little edgier and sexier, perhaps. I chose a famous Meg Ryan look and decided my hair would probably fall into the cut naturally without too much effort.  


I headed to my hairdresser of six years, armed with the photo in tow of how I wanted to be transformed, and we embarked on a discussion of the look.  Yes, I was assured, the cut would be fantastic for my hair type and it would give me a more current, fashionable look.  

Scissors in hand, she went to work. She kept my back to the mirror the whole time so that I wouldn't grab a sneak peek at her work...the move that I'm known for in the salon.  As she went about snipping and razoring, I anticipated the reflection of the new and improved me and could hardly contain myself.  I was ready for the change.

Finally, she finished and I had endured the  3 hour process:  condition treatment, highlights, cut. She wheeled me around slowly so that I could face the mirror and ooh and aaahh over the new me.  

Instead, I let out a small yelp as I brought my hand over my mouth to squelch any more noise from coming out.

Horrified.  Aghast.  

Somehow I managed to collect myself in an instant so that I wouldn't garner any more attention.  I needed to get out of there fast before I broke down crying and/or started yelling at my stylist for the disaster that now sat atop my head.

I can't remember the exact words or gestures that I used past that point but I made my way to the car ultra fast and slumped into my seat.  I turned on the ignition, fastened my seat belt in a blur of angst and looked in the rear view mirror to make sure it was true.  My hair really was not the edgy cut that I anticipated but was a semi-half-mullet throwback from the '80s.  My mood neared frantic frenzy as I made my way home in a fit of tears.

***   ***   ***   ***   

It's been almost a week since that day and many times I have debated cutting it shorter.  I have played the scenario in my head; perhaps even walking into another salon to ask, "Can You Even This Out?"

But, for fear of a repeat performance, I have chosen not to.  

Grow, hair, grow.



5 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, i bet it's not that bad!! Remember, a few weeks ago - talking about the schnauzer's beard? "the difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is 'two weeks' !" I betcha look great, just different! What has the Smart Guy said? (the answer will indicate how "smart" he is...) Karen

Unknown said...

It is very apparent to me that the entire purpose of the gone-awry cut is that it might be fodder for your excellent writing skills!

Bravo on expressing the whole debacle well.

See? Whining has it's place! :D

20-something said...

for all bloggers out there:

its not THAT bad..

:)

2 Babes in Boyland said...

It is REALLY not NEARLY as bad as you would think, given the description! Though it DOES look better without the cute jacket!! :o)

~ Denise ~ said...

ok, girls...it IS that bad. But, I'm gonna hang on to Karen's advice and just wait it out In two weeks it will be beautiful. (said with both fingers crossed!)

Just for the record, Mr. Smart Guy didn't say anything until prompted by me, "What do you think of my hair?" He responded, "Probably like it the same amount that you do." ha lol He IS smart! ;)