Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Couple

A man and his wife casually walked up to the voting line at their precinct this morning.  He was strikingly handsome and slightly subdued as he drank from his Starbucks cup.  His wife, on the other hand, excitedly pulled on the cuff of his sleeve as she tugged him towards the end of the line.  

"We're here!  We're here,"  she exclaimed

He grinned at her with that kind of grin that flows out of enormous love and he softly said, "I know, honey.  We're here."

She anxiously fidgeted, almost jumping up and down in the spot where she stood.  Her eyes shone brightly  with anticipation as her speech got faster and faster.  Finally, as though not being able to withstand the emotional swell any longer,  she leaned into her husband's chest and burst forth into a quiet, almost hushed song.  It was a Lee Greenwood song.

"I'm proud to be an American.
Where at least I know I know I 'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died
And gave the right to me."

He grabbed her by the shoulders and said, "I love you, you nut."  She just grinned and whispered back, "I love you too" and then turned her attention back to the head of the line.  They were inching their way up to the front.  They talked about their date that morning as they passed the time together.  Their date to go vote in an election.  They recounted their years together by each of their trips to the voting booths.   

And, then it was the man's turn.  The electoral officer asked for his name and identification and his physical address.  As he provided the requested items, his wife became even more visibly excited. The officer handed the man a blank ballot and pointed him towards the voting booth.   He paused briefly, glanced back at his wife and winked at her, then made his way to the designated spot.  

The woman stepped up to the table and joyfully thanked the electoral officers for their service and volunteer time.  She then proceeded to give them her name, identification and physical address.  And, as she did so, tears began to well up in her eyes.


She knows the personal cost exchanged for the freedom of democracy. 

She served in the United States Navy for 13 years. 


She took the ballot handed to her and gripped it with all her might.  That paper was her vote, her voice.  She stepped into the voting booth.

The man voted and then stood past the line of booths as he waited for her to finish.  She stepped out of the booth and  saw him out of the corner of her eye as she fed her ballot into the counter.  

She took a few steps toward him with a really wide smile proclaiming, " I am number 989."

He shook his head, took her by the hand and led her to the volunteer standing by the door.  The volunteer handed her a sticker first, then her husband.

The sticker read,  I Voted.

The man took his wife's hand and said appreciatively, "We voted."

The couple started to make their way to the parking lot.  The woman leaned into the man once again.  This time, a small tear trailed out of the corner of her eye.

In a quiet tone meant only for her and her husband, the rest of the song began.

"And, I'll proudly stand up
Next to them and defend her still today.
Cuz there ain't no doubt I love this land.
God bless the USA."

So, if you were standing in line to vote and perhaps got distracted by this woman, I will tell you a secret.

It was me.  



5 comments:

Dawn Sodini said...

BEAUTIFUL! I am so glad you shared! We voted to but not quite as beautifully as the two of you. See we had to go at seperate times - me in the limousine with two kids -one in a stroller! and him just before he picked the kids up! But as you say we voted and feel some contentment that we did our part. Though we are eternally grateful to the Sovereign God we serve who has it completely undercontrol.

20-something said...

too cute.


just like you guys :)

Gloria said...

You Nut! You made me cry, because that's how I feel when I'm voting. I am so proud to be an AMERICAN (and being Puerto Rican ain't bad either)!

Robert and I had our morning date yesterday too!

~ Denise ~ said...

Way to vote, Dawn...in a limousine? Fantastic!! ;) I bet everyone at the polling place was crooning their necks trying to get a peek behind the tinted windows! lol

Thanks, Leaanne and so glad you're reading my blog. :)

Gloria - omg, you're finally a blog poster! Look who's cool now, eh? :)

Unknown said...

I wuz on to ya this time! (see my previous comment on the 'decision' post . . .)

Yet no less delighted to join you on your way to the voting booth. We, unfortuantly, missed our opp this time. Bummer. This was tempered by my folks' visit to the booth, and our viewing of the results . . .

Teriffic read!