Thursday, November 6, 2008

Can You Even This Out?

I watched him go off by himself and start to get really upset.  Normally a content little guy, I became somewhat startled by his behavior.   I left my seat to investigate his angst and as I got closer to him, the scent of mint grew stronger and stronger.  Perplexed by the smell, I wanted to find out where it was coming from but I needed to tend to him first.  He was obviously in distress and needed me so the scent dilemma would have to take a backseat to the situation at hand.

I bent down and scooped him up into my arms as I cooed and stroked his hair in an attempt to settle him down.  And, as he was beginning to relax a little bit, 

I saw it. 

The cause of the problem.  
And, it was a really, really big problem.  

He allowed me to poke around a bit to assess the damage.  

It was a big wad of still-wrapped but now chewed piece of peppermint gum that had sprawled across Copernicus' beard and under his lip.  

The damage was widespread and immense.  

There was only one solution.  I needed the scissors.  I started to work with less than Edward Scissorshand style dexterity and managed to cut the affected area free from the gum.  

I took a look at him:  lopsided, half bearded, half shaven.  A mess, really.

It was reminiscent of being seven or eight years old when a little girl wields scissors to her head for a brand new do.  Her mom, upon discovery of the hair mishap, looks at her to decide the next step.  She chooses and carts her daughter off to the hairdresser asking, "Can you even this out?"

In the same manner, I looked at Copernicus and then carted him off to the groomer asking, "Can you even this out?"

Here he is sporting his brand new, non-bearded look.  Not quite the distinguished schnauzer-man of days gone by. 

Silly dog, gum is for kids. ;)


5 comments:

Gloria said...

Ay bendito! He still looks so very cute! But you're right, silly dog; gum is for kids!!!

2 Babes in Boyland said...

SO funny! He looks like he is TRYING to hold onto his dignity, bearded or not!! SO Sweet!

AND minty fresh! :o)

Unknown said...

OH MY!! and OH NO!! Poor cappie . . .

meanwhile, Dell gets to romp in:

(Get ready folks!)

His first blizzard! :D

Karen said...

hi denise - nice to "meet" you. poor pooch. remember the saying "the only difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is two weeks!!"

love your writing style - i'll bookmark your blog and check in!

karen

~ Denise ~ said...

Thanks, Karen...

I hope it is only 2 weeks before he's back to looking like his normal, distinguished look. I appreciate the compliment and.... welcome to my blog! So glad you're here! ;)

Gloria - Ay bendito...of course!! ;)

Marla - You picked up on his attempt to hold on to his dignity. That's awesome! (and minty!) lol ;)

Angi - how did Dell like the snow? Can't wait to bring my schnauzer boys into big heaps of the white stuff! :)