Monday, April 6, 2009

Prevailing Winds

It may seem like I've been quiet.

It may even seem like I've been missing.

But, it's only because I've been caught up and tossed about in the prevailing winds of the Coastal Craziness once again.  I've had you on my mind and wanted to write to fill you in on all that's happened in the past few days and even wow you with stories but...well, ... that darned time zone change gets me every time.  

Maybe I'll just give you a few of the more dramatic highlights of the past few days so at least you'll get the gist of how my world was before I left Virginia. Or, maybe I should say you'll get the gist of how crazed I was. ;)

In the middle of an overloaded to-do list and with no time to spare, I locked myself out of the house just hours before my flight took off.  Desperate for help, I had to wait outside for about 20 minutes before the realtor came to my rescue.  It seems that I had forgotten that I gave him my house key to put in the lock box and no longer had the key on my key ring. {{oops}}

But, a funny memory popped into my head from last year as I waited to be rescued. ;)

/div>

But, wait...I had no time for memories.  I had to get moving!  

task. check mark! next?

pant....pant....pant

"Newton...get in your crate", I shouted!

Newton likes his travel crate so I thought it would be a much easier time than when Copernicus flew last year. It was easier getting Newton in the crate to go but he was pretty vocal up front about his lack of luxurious travel accommodations.  Pampered puppy!

So, we get to the airport...check Newton as baggage because of a mix-up that caused him to be on a plane separate from mine.  Um, precious baggage, please! ;)

The good news is that we arrived in Silicon Valley with no issues and I ran (ok, walked fast) to see Mr. Smart Guy!!  

And, I made it just in time for our anniversary!

... and then we, Newton and I, crashed!  We slept and slept and slept and... slept some more.


We all settled in and it felt strangely familiar to me as though I had never left California.  Mr. Smart Guy went to work, Newton was happily tired after a walk and then I ventured out to get some groceries and ... sticker shock!  I had forgotten how expensive things are in this state and that the sales tax was just raised to 9.25%.  (a small side note...the sales tax in Virginia is a paltry 5%)

I had so much fun in the grocery store though that I forgot that we lived in an apartment and had to park in an underground garage and had to take an elevator to our level and had to haul said such purchases to the apartment.  

But, fear not....I got a system for that! 

After I unpacked the groceries and started to fold up the reusable bags I realized the middle bag was surely representative of my vagabound lifestyle:

what goes around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around....

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Denise, wow, this must be a crazy time for you! loved the "lock-out" video. Too cute.

Karen

20-something said...

yay! you're back in blogland...

woohooo!

and love the pictures of newt.. i miss the little guy... (and you too!)

Unknown said...

BWA!!! Which monumental moment shall I comment on first??? LOL

LOCKED OUT!!! I would have totally panicked!

And NEWT!! That new fangled hair cut suits him well! Do YOU like it???

The BAGS?? {gasp!} The elevator?? {double gasp!!}

What goes around is *so akin* to "Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' . . ." that I can't seem to get my brain wrapped that crazy time zone either.

(Can I come over??) LOLOL