Thursday, July 9, 2009

Just Who Will You Be?

I picked up the book on my latest trip to the library, surveyed how small it was and then began to assess whether or not it would be worth reading. Its mere 91 pages that were bound in a 4"x6" format weren't that impressive to me.

...but it was the title, not the author, that hooked me. And, so I borrowed it.

I immediately found myself connected with Maria Shriver, the author, when she described certain phases of life where she lost her identity. Driven, ambitious and full of energy to accomplish much in life, she defined herself in many ways that were similar to ways that I have defined myself in the past.

Her book was written based on, and includes, a speech she gave at a high school graduation that revolved around the question,

Just Who Will You Be?

The emphasis was on who not on what.

....and I find myself in that question. I find myself feeling stripped of identities that provided me with a full sense of myself. The question of who will I be is profoundly applicable.

I am no longer "busy" with

small children

or a career

or anything

that might appear to give me a title or a sense of purpose. And, in that regard, I think am a little lost.

This idea of who not what I will be has planted itself within me at a startling apropos time. Maybe its the springboard for my future?

Just Who Will I Be?


"I've finally learned after all these years that I don't need to define myself with a certain job or a certain name or a certain role in order to tell myself who I am. I've learned that all my roles are simply a part of me - but they're not all of me.

I've learned that by looking at myself apart from my roles - by softening and taking off some of the armor I put on as a child and wore my whole life - I can more clearly see and feel the people around me. Now that I'm not obsessed about whether I measure up to other people's expectations, I've found a new gentleness and kindness in myself, for myself and for others.

Just Who Will You Be
- Maria Shriver