Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Calling All Botanists!



Can you name this plant?
It looks and feels similar to an aloe vera plant but in a smaller, wider version.


It was discovered on an impromptu yet hilarious trip to Santa Cruz, CA yesterday. Copernicus was actually the first one to investigate the plant or ground cover or whatever it is because it was everywhere! He was in search of a place to go, if you know what I mean, and he was having a difficult time because California landscape is not what he's used to and change is not his forte.


So with all the business out of the way, we stopped for a few photo opportunities.



We were thrilled that we got to fit another hot spot into her vacation! But, we only had 15 minutes to be there and had to come back to catch her flight. So...

On the way back through the windy, curvy, hilly, oh-no-it's-nauseating trip, my eyes started watering. One eye started twitching. And, then, it was full blown allergic reaction.

My eyes swelled. My throat was tight. I felt like I was going to pass out.

After grabbing two Benadryl's and a shower, I started to stabilize. I am still feeling some after effects today but ....

I really need to know what the plant is. And, I promise, I won't touch it ever again! lol ;)

*** Just a quick update ***

My mom, a long-time Californian, let me in on what this disastrous plant is. It's called California Ice Plant and now I shall forever stay away from it. Thanks, Mom!

7 comments:

Kevin Stone said...

Great pics! Looks like the weather is wonderful there. Can't help ya with the flower though. Not my feild. LOL

2 Babes in Boyland said...

Oh my gosh!! How scary! I will do some checking for you and see what I can find out! (My medical mommy virtual friends are AMAZING!) And yeah, DON"T TOUCH!!

Dan Felstead said...

Denise...a botanist I am not! But I don't want to get near that plant...even though it is beautiful! Looks like it was a great trip...nice pics.

Dan

Unknown said...

OMG!! I forgot about the trip!! Yeehaw! It had to be great!! I love the pic of you n the doggies . . . but really now . . . was only 15 minutes enough? It looks like a place I'd want to go back to! :D

20-something said...

evil plant!

2 Babes in Boyland said...

Hey - see if this one is it!!
scroll down - looks like maybe ice plant??

http://www.danheller.com/marin-rodeo-beach.html

2 Babes in Boyland said...

Should have scrolled down and read your update! And apparently it is a "bad" plant according to the NPS :
http://www.nps.gov/archive/redw/iceplant.htm