Monday, September 15, 2008

Loving Clumsily

I initiated two extremely difficult conversations yesterday and I walked away with two surprisingly good outcomes. And, I want to share with you what was on my mind before putting myself into communication with others...

"Every day I put love on the line. There is nothing I am less good at then love. I am far better in competition than in love. I am far better at responding to my instincts and ambitions to get ahead and make my mark than I am at figuring out how to love another. I am schooled and trained in acquisitve skills, in getting my own way. And, yet I decide, everyday, to set aside what I can do best and attempt what I do very clumsily - open myself to the frustrations and failures of loving, daring to believe that failing in love is better than succeeding in pride."

- A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mmmm. introspective, beautiful words . . .in many ones I could imagine you saying . . .