Thursday, February 5, 2009

Stoplight

I tried my hand, well...my keyboard actually, at crafting a little fiction over at Pictures, Poetry & Prose.  The writing prompt was "Waiting at a stoplight..."

Enjoy!

***   ***   ***

Kara sat in her car while she waited for the traffic light to turn green despite the steady blaze of red that seemed to taunt her into more waiting.

"It's my turn", she said out loud. Even though no one else was listening.

Disgruntled at the long wait and determined to get on with her commute, Kara began to tap her fingers on the steering wheel.

"It's my turn", she said out loud. Even though no one else was listening.

Her heart began to pound harder and harder as her irritation bloomed into full blown anger. She couldn't fathom a reasonable explanation as to why the light was taking so long to turn green.

"It's my turn", she yelled out loud and pounded her balled up fists on the steering wheel. Even though no one else was listening.

A car pulled up on her left side and Kara turned to look. As she did, her eyes caught a glimpse of a young girl who was firmly buckled up in her car seat in the rear of the car. The little girl began to entice Kara with a game of peek-a-boo.

Kara's heart immediately melted. Of course she wanted to play with this sweet little girl who was all smiles. The mom in the front seat of the car smiled and waved and nodded in approval of the game. 

The tiny little girl dipped and tried to hide behind her hands with the grandest peek-a-boo gestures. 

"It's my turn", Kara said out loud. Even though the little girl couldn't hear her. And, reciprocated with a big smile and wide eyes that gave way to an even more animated peek-a-boo.

....and then, the light turned green.

Sad that the game ended so soon, Kara waved goodbye to the little girl as both cars began to accelerate.

She patted her belly, now protruding with 7 months worth of new baby, as she grinned and said, "It's my turn! It's my turn to be a mommy soon".

6 comments:

Kevin Stone said...

Wow, that was a very cool story. Very good job. Hey I wanted to say thanks for the comment on my blog. Wow what a day that was right. Seems like everything happened in one day. However things are getting back to normal around here, or as normal as can be. But thanks for stopping in and checking out my blog. I have enjoyed reading yours and will continue to come back and check it out. I am a real big fan of this blog thing. Have a blessed day. Kevin

Karen said...

That was such a sweet story - I'll have to remember it - I do occasionally get in too much hurry...
enjoyed your view of freckles also! I've always ignored mine - until some one calls me "freckle-face", then it makes me feel like a kid again!

~ Denise ~ said...

Kevin - so glad to hear that things are going better. thanks for commenting. :)

Karen - aahh...the FRECKLE FACE. sheesh...I almost didn't like that one as much as BIG GIRL. **yuk**

Karen said...

hey denise - yeah - but my daddy always called me "red", so i love,love,love that one....wished he were here to call me that again....

Chris said...

Great story! This is the Featured Post over at Worth a Thousand Words.

~ Denise ~ said...

Wow! Thanks Chris for the highlight. ;)