Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What Would You Do?

I looked at the clock and hesitated.  It was very close to the time that Theatre Dude was supposed to come home from school and I wanted to see him and hear how his day went.  However, I really needed to take Copernicus for a walk because he's been stir-crazy without his brother around.  Newton has been out of commission for a few days, sadly, but recovering nicely from his recent neutering.  {{poor puppy}}

I texted Theatre Dude and told him I was headed out for a walk and would see him when I got back home.  He quickly let me know not to walk near the field in our subdivision because there was going to be a fight but that I didn't know the two boys involved.  He warned me, "Stay away from there, Momma.  I don't want you getting hurt."

After a few more exchanges, I grabbed the leash and fastened it onto a more than ready Miniature Schnauzer.  I totally forgot about the conversation with Theatre Dude, was immersed in music blaring from my iPod and noticed there were a lot of cars and teenagers up ahead at the open field.

Oh my goodness!!  I forgot about the fight!!

I kept walking because there was nothing else I could do.  I saw one boy had a football in his hand as he was crossing the street and thought to myself, "Oh, they're just playing football.  No biggie."

There were about 25 kids standing around.  And then it started.

Two boys.
Fists flying.
Punching.
Kicking.
One boy.
On top of the other.
Punching.
Harder.
One boy.
On the bottom.
Wiggled out from underneath.
Sprouted to his feet.
And punched.
And punched.

I wanted to run to the field.  I wanted to scream.  I wanted to do something.  But, I was paralyzed for a second.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I quickly grabbed my cell phone and dialed 911.  A woman started to walk towards me from the intersecting street ahead and asked, "Are you calling the police?"  

I nodded.  I was already giving information to the 911 dispatcher. 

I watched the onlookers who cheered and laughed and captured the fight on video cameras and cell phones.  

Laughing.  Most of them were laughing.

Then, just as quickly as it started it was over.  All of the teenagers went scrambling to their cars.  The two boys that had just been annihilating each other put their arms around each other and one boy patted his chest.  It looked like they were saying, "Good fight".

I couldn't believe it even though I watched it.

Then, I saw her.  She was getting into a car, video camera in hand, laughing and full of energy.

Her name slipped out of my mouth in that mother-tone.  You know the tone, the one used specifically for serious business and oh-are-you-in-trouble face.  

She looked up at me, blushed and said, "Um, gotta go".

She disappointed me.  I didn't think she was capable of being where she was.

I felt nauseous the rest of my walk.  Furious at the violence that our culture keeps brewing and touting as cool.  Angry that I knew a few of those kids as well as their parents.

Ugh.

I called Theatre Dude and told him what happened.  He said this is normal.  He said this happens all the time.  I told him I called the police.  He didn't approve.  He said I should have avoided the area like he asked me to.

But, I'm a grown-up, I pleaded.  I couldn't just walk by and ignore what was happening.

Could you?  What would you do?





3 comments:

Karen said...

wow, denise! that is an amazing story. and really disturbing that this appears to be "fun" for them.

i agree with the call to 911 - next time it might be really needed. i've always had the ability to be the "uncool" mom when i felt it necessary!

you asked on my blog if i was vegetarian - i wasn't sure if you would see a response there - no, i'm not (but my sister is vegan!!) i have some weird anti-body problem with eating beef and pork. i mean - any tiny amount at all sends me into crazy- itchy-swelling of the lips, etc - hives....so i eat chicken and fish. but my family still eats normally, so i just work around it. it's been that way for about 15 years, so we're all pretty used to it (most gatherings my close associates always prepare something i can eat - they're so sweet!!) sorry for the long answer! take care, karen

Kevin Stone said...

I agree with what you did. Calling 9-1-1 was exactly what you should have done and is what I would have done as well. Good Job someone has to stand up and make a change or nobody will.

~ Denise ~ said...

Karen - thanks for the affirmation that I did the right thing. And interesting about your food antibody. ;)

Kevin - Welcome to the site...it's nice to see you here! Thanks for your comment. ;)