Friday, October 10, 2008

An Unlikely Angel


An Unlikely Angel, written by Ashley Smith with Stacy Mattingly, is Ashley's personal account of being kidnapped and held hostage by Brian Nichols in 2005. Held hostage for seven hours, she was able to talk with her kidnapper about her struggle with drug addiction, her daughter, her story of widowhood, God, The Purpose Driven Life book she was reading, and taking accountability for her actions. She has been hailed as a hero for keeping her composure in crisis and contributing to Brian Nichols surrender and arrest for murder.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the book very much. Several parts were repetitive and reduntant and I found it difficult to finish reading just because of sheer boredom.

With that being said, I try to get at least one good take-away from even the worst of books. And, with that in mind, I was able to grab two good points out of this one.
  • God uses imperfect people to accomplish much in this life.
  • God doesn't give up on us despite our ability to give up on ourselves.

Rating: 3 out of 10 (don't bother reading)

Any recommendations for my next read?

2 comments:

Teaworthy said...

Thanks for this review. Sounds like a good editor may have made the difference for her book. I had friends working in the courthouse when that shooting occurred and was always fascinated by her story.

~ Denise ~ said...

I agree on the editor choice! ;) I hope your friends weren't harmed in all of that. Thanks for stopping by.