Friday, October 17, 2008

Dog Bites

We headed outside for an early evening walk, ready to enjoy the almost-but-not-quite-brisk air and take in the first scents of the fall season.

We turned the corner, made our way down the driveway and saw our neighbor and her dog waiting for us in the cul-de-sac. We tried several times to begin conversation, however, her dog did everything he could to prevent that from happening.

I had already taken Copernicus off his leash and allowed him to investigate the grounds around me. He calmly sniffed, stayed close to me and did show some interest in the little white dog. Neighbor's dog, though, barked and growled and was agitated at being held and restrained by his owner.

All of a sudden, the dog jumped out of her arms.

It happened so fast.

Neighbor grabbed the little white blur, firmly gripping him in her arms as she apologized profusely for her dog's aggressiveness.

I felt it even as she was talking. Sore and somewhat moist. I put my hand on the area to feel what had happened and she said, "Did he bite you"?

Incredulous, I pulled my shorts up and there it was - a bite. A dog bite! He barely broke the skin but the bite was fairly large.

I tried not to make a big deal of it. We exchanged a few more pleasantries and then went home with my well-socialized, well trained schnauzer guy, Copernicus.



After all the excitement we settled in and stretched out on the bed. The only choice was to watch an episode of the Dog Whisperer.

I think I'd like to leave an anonymous gift set of the show's first season on her porch. What do you think?

3 comments:

2 Babes in Boyland said...

OH no!!! That is terrible!! Are you OK? Dog vaccinated and everything?? (I don't vax my kids, but ALL about the dogs getting their shots!! ;-) )
I think the gift would be the KINDEST thing you could leave on her front porch, at this point! Take care and milk it for all it's worth!!

Unknown said...

I can't. believe. this. happened. (!!!)

What would Ceasar say??

~ Denise ~ said...

Yep, I'm really ok.

Neighbor called me a few hours after the incident to ask how I was. The dog is fully vaccinated and Neighbor even offered to pay for a doctor's visit if needed.

Neighbor is sweet. Dog is not. lol