Monday, January 19, 2009

The Trek Favorite

One of the benefits of my recent cross-country trek was the ability to submerse myself into a whole bag, teemed full of books from the library.   As I brought out my belongings to the car for our initial loading, Mr. Smart Guy eyed my prized library bag and said, "Are you sure your going to read all those?"  Of which I quickly answered, "uh-huh" and nodded my head up and down with full confidence.  He chuckled a little and went about loading the car.  

Then, usually every few 800 or 900 hundred miles, I would need to get to the bag so that I could exchange the book I had just finished with a new one from the goodie bag.  What a glorious time of uninterrupted indulgence:  mostly biographies, a little non-fiction in between and topped off with a smattering of a few fiction pieces. 

But, there was one book that has stood out above the rest:  

Grub 
by Elise Blackwell.

It is a contemporary retelling of New Grub Street (George Gissing's classic satire of the literary marketplace written in the late 19th century).  The story followed four main characters who were aspiring writers and revealed the delicate balance between artistic creativity and the criteria mandated for commercial sales.

One of the things I enjoyed most about her writing is the depth of emotion and Blackwell's ability to bring you into the writers' environment as though you were in each discussion, vision casting and career conflict with every character.  I loved it!

It was low on page-filling dialogue, high on the ins and outs of writing and publishing and an easy read on the heart.  I appreciated the lack of crass language and imagery. 

Rating:  9 out of 10!  

1 comment:

Karen said...

sounds like you're all set for your new life-style. i envy your ability to read while in motion - i'd be sick, sick, sick....

hope you have a great day - we're headed for the first snow-storm we've had in several years....too bad my boys are too old to make snow-men (well, maybe they will anyway!)