Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Silence

As I try to recover from a nasty cold that is insisting it needs to take up residence within me, I have lost my voice.  Or, what used to be known as my voice.  What now emanates from my vocal cords is something more like an adolescent teens squeak and honk all at the same time...no matter the sound I'm actually trying to verbalize.

You know that I am a high extrovert and talker extraordinaire and, with that in mind, can you imagine the challenge of trying to keep quiet?!

So, in my silence (or sporadic squawking), I am trying to grow a little from this experience.  I find myself ready to evaluate my thoughts before they leave my mouth and ask...

  • Do I really need to expend the amount of energy it will take to say this sentence because the thought is that profound?

  • Can I be creative without speaking and yet accomplish my communication goals?  (um, and no, I'm not talking about using any fancy, vulgar, middle-finger waves or balled-up fists flying through the air kind of language either!)

  • Will the world crash on its axis if I don't say what I'm thinking ALL of the time?  Ahh...now there's a thought to ponder. ;)

And, since I am thrust into listening and processing information without vocalizing an opinion, I think it might be the best time to watch Fox news.  lol ;)

4 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

Denise,

Hope you get well soon...there is a nasty one going around here as well. My son, my 84 year old father and my wife all have had it and so far....I have escaped it's grasp...it is surely a matter of time. Hang in there!

Dan

Chris said...

Let me know the results of your experiment. I live with four woman and might find them...shall we say...usefull.

~ Denise ~ said...

Thanks, Dan - I am ready to feel somewhat normal again! ;) Good for you that haven't had to partake in the feast of the sickies...lol.

Chris - Wowee, you have an interesting life! ;) I'll keep ya posted on the silence experiment.

Unknown said...

Ha! Fox News would seem to only provoke the opinion within, would it not?!?!?

LOLOL