Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Freedom to Change

In an effort to ready our house for selling, I decided that the baby, er...Miniature Schnauzer, gates needed to come down.  The three gates have been a mainstay in raising the puppies this past year and have helped to contain them to a manageable portion of our home.  But, there is a time for all of us to evolve and mature and have a little freedom to find, grow and explore new things.

... so the gates came down.

Copernicus, just barely over one year old, took to the newfound freedom quite fast.  He quickly went off to find his new boundaries without any hesitation or reservation.  He loved the newness of it all and then came back to get his brother to join him.  Copernicus then began to entice Newton into a game of chase so that he too could discover the great new space.  He loved the change and wanted his brother to feel the same way!

Copernicus

But, baby brother had some trepidation.  It was questionable how Newton, now just a mere six months old, would handle so much space albeit he's the more adventurous and wild one of the two.

It took him awhile to realize that the gates were down and he was surprisingly more cautious than his brother.  He kept looking back into the previously gated space as though he really wasn't sure he wanted to find out what was outside of the gates.  He wanted the new without leaving the old.

... and isn't that just like us?  

Sometimes we engage the change in our lives without hesitation and just drive right into the unknown like Copernicus did.  Then, there are those times when we just can't seem to push ourselves out of the comfort zone and into something new like Newton experienced.

Change is such a crazy mixture of  the "stop" and "go" that we experience throughout the movement of seasons within our lives.

For Newton, it took his brother's game of chase before he went into the new areas.  He needed the security of retaining something of the old with him as he went into the new.     


Once in the new spaces, he ran and ran and played with his brother and reveled in all of the fun! Sprawled out and panting he landed at my feet as if to say, "Thanks for all of this freedom!"

I hope that after all of the seasons of change and the maturing and the growing and the refining, I will resemble Newton's stance:  a smile on my face, totally out of breath, looking heavenward and shouting, "Thanks for all of this freedom!"

I vow to take all that comes my way today and delight in the freedom to change.  Won't you?

11 comments:

20-something said...

very well spoken...

Unknown said...

OMG....I just popped over and read your blog about giving the boys some freedom. It struck such a cord with my latest posting and a new opportunity! You put my thoughts into words perfectly. Perhaps you could be my Ghost Writer...LOL!

I'm enjoyed getting to know you, Copernicus and Newton. TOO CUTE! I love the last picture where he is sprawled out and smiling. PRECIOUS!

~ Denise ~ said...

20-something - thanks..I'm very flattered you think so. ;)

Susan - I saw your comment and popped right over to your latest post. omg is an understatement!! I've written a lot on "change" so feel free to use the search bar on my blog with that word and you'll get all of the posts. ...there a lot. lol I'm enjoying getting to know you too and Carson just looks smashing in his latest photo! ;)

Ali said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog today. What cute pups you have. I am going to add you to my blogs.

Alicia~~~

Unknown said...

Hey there...thanks for the support and the hint to search your blog for "change"...I'm having a blast reading all your posts. :)

Isn't it great how God puts just the right people in our lives as the right moment?

Carson is Part Schnauzer and part ???. I had a silver mini schnauzer growing up and loved the breed. I got divorced about 3 years ago and had just had a cat because I thought I led to busy a life to take care of a dog. A friends neighbor had a White Schnauzer who Accidently mated with a neighbors Black Schnauzer. There were 4 salt and pepper, 2 black and 2 white's. Once I saw the puppies I was a goner and turned immediately into a Dog Person. LOL! Of course they didn't have papers since they were SURPRISE puppies but I love him JUST the same. As Carson grew older he definitely has many Schnauzer qualities (especially when his has the typical schnauzer haircut) but his legs are REALLY long. I call him my Long Tall Texan. His hair is also VERY soft and not wirey at all.
Thanks again for your kind post...I look forward to seeing and hearing more from you.

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Found you from Susan S.'s blog - today must've been the day to talk about CHANGE. Take a peek at my own post today on the subject . . . :)

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog-Could your babies be any cuter? I think not...and what a question to ponder today, and into tomorrow-

Karen said...

Hi Denise, you certainly have a lot to ponder these days! sounds like you're holding up well - the pups look they are too! take care!

tootie said...

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog!

Best of luck with selling your home. I know it's not always fun, but I will say a prayer that it all goes smoothly for you!

Dawn Sodini said...

Denise, the dogs are precious but what struck me today was your carpeting! How beautiful! And what a selling point!

~ Denise ~ said...

Lisa - Welcome! Thanks for stopping by. ;)

Ruby Red - I don't think they could get any cuter..they're heart stealers, really!! ;)

Tootie - Thanks for your prayers...they are much appreciated! ;)

Karen - I am holding up...and doing well. The recovery has been fairly easy (considering). ;)

Dawn - So nice to hear from you, girl and thanks for the compliment! Hope you are doing well. ;)