Friday, March 20, 2009

He Started It

My life as a change agent, charged with pushing through barriers of stagnation, is proving to be exhilarating, scary, whirlwind-y and full of "wow...that's new!" exclamations.  My role recently ramped up by orders of magnitude when Mr. Smart Guy and I chose to pursue the Coastal Craziness route and it seems that now each day brings new change in some variation.  I've been hurdling giant leaps of "what was" and donning my fantastic looking bifocals so that I could clearly see "what might be" ahead of me.  

...but now, in the midst of major life change, I need to make a cell phone decision??

aaaagghhhhh!!

Ok, ok, ok.  Let me settle down a bit so that I can fill you in on the details without all of the temperamental fits of expletives. lol

My cell phone (by which I'm attached to semi-permanently because I don't own a house phone or an alarm clock and am a textin' fool) had been sending me signals for a week or two.  You know the kind of signals, the ones that alert you to the device's impending electronic death.  So, with a half-hearted strategy, I started to look at my available options and decided I needed to talk it over with Mr. Smart Guy.  I grabbed my phone, entered the speed-dial number and ... a silent death occurred. That was it!  It died.  Quickly, suddenly and despite my no-plan-of-action self.  I was, for the first time in a long time, without a working phone.

I sat there totally befuddled and wondered what I was going to do.  Aha! ...an idea popped into my head!  I snuck into Theatre Dude's room to get his phone and as I stepped ever so lightly to his nightstand, "MOM!  What are you doing", he screamed.  (so much for lightly, eh?)  I tip-toed out of his room and proceeded to call Mr. Smart Guy. After several minutes of mourning to him about my cell phone situation he quickly stopped me and said, "Baby, just go get an iPhone".  

With my heart pounding out of my chest at the thought of such an extravagant gift and knowing that he has been wanting an iPhone forever, I peeped, "Are you sure?  Um, let me just check it out tomorrow morning and I'll let ya know". So, we talked, laughed and then ended our conversation in our usual way of terms of endearment and affirmations of love.

The next morning I set off to the stores but once I had the iPhone in my hand there was no turning back; I had to have it! But, it felt so weird to buy an Apple product on my own without Mr. Smart Guy by my side asking all of the deep technical questions while I proudly stood on the sidelines admiring him.  

It was an even stranger experience when I got home and had to set up the phone a la solo.  I managed to get the phone and all of the accessories out of their packaging before tears started to pour down my cheeks as I slipped into this huge void of sadness.  You see, Mr. Smart guy is the one who started it all; my love affair with Apple.  He is the one who helps me understand how to work all things electronic and keeps me well-stocked with the latest techie goodies.  It's him, the smart one, who gets the new thing all ready and then hands it to me ready to go.

Anyway, I launched myself into another adventure of iChange and continue to press on with my mission as change agent.  Only this time ... it's change agent with an iPhone!   btw...the phone is crazy cool! ;)

4 comments:

Karen said...

Denise, I love the way you can take a mundane thing like a cell phone replacement and turn it into a (albeit short) love story! Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Hi Denise, I loved your entry in one minute writer's 'missing' prompt. Brief, succinct, beautiful. Enjoyed your blog - I will call in again.

Unknown said...

{drooling}

.
.
.
.
.
.
{a moment of silence for the dead phone}
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

{exaggerated and extreme excitement}

.
.
.
.
.
Did you get it in electric blue??? HUH? HUH? HUH? Didja???

tootie said...

That's awesome that you got an iPhone! I bet you are loving it :)