Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Friend




***   ***   ***

Wow..I am practically falling all over myself with excitement because I won an award over at The One-Minute Writer blog. It's a great site that I love and please take a second, or a minute, to go check it out.  It is exactly what the name implies; there is a writing prompt for the day and a timer for 60 seconds.  It's fun, creative and a blast to see what I can come up with and then also see what others contribute to the prompt.

The prompt yesterday was "Reflect on how your life has changed since March 5, 2004" and my entry (remember, I only had one minute) was this:

Hurricane Katrina slammed into the gulf coast of Mississippi in August, 2005. The storm wreaked havoc, chaos and loss for many people but for me it brought a mom and her two kids into my home and into my heart. The family stayed with me for about six months before returning home to Mississippi.

The hurricane: awful beyond words.

The friendship: God-given.

Coincidentally, I had intended on writing about my friend, Angi, today anyway so I think it's great to add the award about her on top of a tribute to her.


This chick from the hurricane, now my best friend, just came into town for a few days to help me while I recover from back surgery.  So I thought I would make some "What I love about her is..." statements so that maybe you'll get to know her and realize how special she is too!

What I love about Angi is ...

  • how she loves God with all of her heart.
  • her ability to throw down a fantastic meal!
  • the way she sings a song to someone to make them feel better.
  • her innate ability to appreciate and affirm others.
  • how you can see her tonsils when she throws her head back laughing!
  • how readily she offers love and support to her friends.
  • that she's crafty and scrapbook'y and really good at it!
  • when we Skype, words are barely needed because of the funny faces she makes!

So, Angi ... here's to you, my friend!

6 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

Denise,
First of all congrats on the OMW today! Secondly, you seemed surprised that I was a barrel racer in my past and likewise, I was pleasantly surprised about your chance to take in a Katrina victim. What a great story. I was hoping to find out more about this and you posted it on your blog! Thanks for filling us in and I think it is great that you and your family not only talk a good talk but you walk the walk as well...great work you have done.

Dan

~ Denise ~ said...

Dan - thanks a bunch for the compliments! I think the barrel racing is so cool and I was surprised cuz I don't think I've ever met anyone who did that. So, that's pretty awesome! ;)

Karen said...

Congratulations on the award - 60 seconds is not a lot of time and you did a great job pulling that together. And isn't it wonderful to have friends you can count on? K

Kevin Stone said...

Way to go on the OMW. It was a very good post and you earned it. Way Cool! ;)

~ Denise ~ said...

Thanks Karen & Kevin: your comments always bring a smile to my face ;)

Unknown said...

Egads ~ *so* glad you redirected me! I might have missed it altogether! LOLOL (how could I possibly feed my ego if I did that? LOL) That's you: The Smart One - winning the award! ;P