Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Reality

The company, who made headlines all around the nation, but even more so here because they were headquartered in this city, have finally closed their stores.  Once known as a solid company with engineers that developed leading-edge technologies had somehow stumbled down the wrong product and marketing paths which seem to have ultimately led to it's demise.  

It was just a short 12 years ago that Mr. Smart Guy took a position with this company that brought us to Richmond from Seattle.  His career grew leaps and bounds within the company until years later when it was time for Mr. Smart Guy to move on to a different company.  But, I think we both have a big soft spot in our hearts for this company because we talked about it much as we watched their stock prices plummet to the ground. My friends, some long term employees, have faced the inevitable severance packages and lay-off notices and are now trying to make their way through the reality of unemployment.  


However, it still took me by surprise when I went to another store next to where Circuit City used to be.  I looked at the now empty building and logo-less store front and felt the weight of our economy crashing down on my city.  With tears in my eyes I feel like I am grieving yet another loss. 

Only this loss is somehow tied to the gratefulness that's in my heart for the opportunities and advancements that were afforded to Mr. Smart Guy while he was with the company.  

The reality is ... I have to say another sad goodbye. ;(

4 comments:

Kevin Stone said...

That is right. Circut City is no more. Wow for me it was news yes but it did not really affect me at all. I never shopped there so my day to day life just went on as normal. I never even thought about the people that worked there. It was just another loss because of the economy to me. Looking at it from the eyes of someone who had interest in it sure makes it look different. I am sorry for your friends who are dealing with this and I am sorry for not thinking about them during this as well. I really should be thankfull I have the job that I have.

Unknown said...

Hi there...and thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm enjoying your blog and will be back. I also have to tell you, your two puppies are PRECIOUS! I bet they would have fun playing with my pup, Carson. Also, LOVE their names...really cleaver!

Unknown said...

{hugs}

Girly Stuff said...

Thanks for stopping by...I am glad your husband had such a good experience there. I remember when they opened in Texas.